Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Caroline Orloff: full of love, Torah and song

I was not fortunate enough to have known Ester for long. But when I was first introduced to Angela - on my first Shabbat at New London, I was made to feel like I was part of the community. I felt even more welcomed when Angela introduced me to Ester. There was something about Ester that did not make one feel judged or critiqued. Being Jewish with Asian skin and features isn't an easy combination, but that was never an issue at New London, in fact, people were fascinated by it and Ester encouraged me to tell more people my story.

I remember the first time I heard Angela sing in the congregation, but that did not prepare me for Ester. As Rabbi Gordon said, Ester's layning really made you feel you were being heard by G-d, made you feel that she and you were the words you were uttering, singing, chanting.

Angela and Ester opened their doors to many and took me in more than once to celebrate the festivals. I stayed with them for Sukkot and had my first meal under a beautiful Sukkah. I was the first there so I could put away my things, and I remember entering a home that felt full of love and full of Torah, and most of all, full of song. Between Angela singing and humming in the kitchen and Ester 'performing' in her bedroom, bathroom, hallway, I felt I was privileged to have such sweet music to listen to. I also remember Ester's love of platform rubber shoes - which weren't just 'Good for Yom Kippur, but for everyday,' as Ester said.

I have missed New London since moving to Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I love the community and shul my family is part of, but what I miss are the familiar voices. I miss Chazzan Stephen's booming and commanding yet melodic voice - that made me not want to consider any other shul in London, I miss Angela and Ester's voices, I miss Ariella's voice, I miss Rabbi Gordon's voice, I miss Joe's voice, I just miss everyone.

During Rosh Hashana services last weekend, my first High Holyday service in the US, there was a young girl who daavened, and she was very very good. I thought how much I missed Ester's unique way and tune of daavening and how her voice commanded the attention from every corner of the room. One of Rabbi Hammer's friends who were visiting from the US and attended
the Minyan Chadash earlier this year, gave me a wide-eyed look just as Ester started to daaven and afterwards went up to her and asked where she had learnt the tune from as it wasn't US or European specific and Ester just smiled and said it was just the way she felt.

I wish I could have made the trip but due to my current immigration status here, I am unable to leave the US. Joe's trip is also a small representation of me as we both worked really quickly to find him a flight.

Angela, words cannot express the respect I feel for you for the person you helped Ester become, and also the sadness at such a great loss. You are an amazing woman and mother, and I am grateful that you and Ester welcomed me into your home. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

L'shana tovah tikatavu v'tikatemu
Tzom Kal
Caroline Orloff (formerly Yap)