Wednesday, October 04, 2006

David Mitchell: flatulence... Baruch Hashem...

I don't know how to write this - Ester you were always the one who played best with words!

Ester you started out as my student when I was your fieldworker back in Cardiff and within minutes you became my friend and my teacher and my student - and I became yours. We shared a deep love for Judaism, for music, nusach, niggunim, cooking, baking and port. You taught me that "there is no joy without wine" (Talmud, Pesachim 109a) but also so so much more!

Ester...

I always loved your voice and your naughty grin.

I always loved your humour and ability to sit there for endless hours making daft noises and smart comments.

I always loved that you did deep and meaningfuls.

You always had room in your soul for someone else's joys and burdens.

You always had a song for every occasion and a blessing for everything - every bodily function was a blessing and you excelled at both publicising them and celebrating them.

You always had a lot of love to give - I'll always remember your face after a good night out.

I always knew you well enough to know that you had secrets and demons.

I always knew you well enough to know that I only knew part of you.

I always knew you well enough that we could spend 6 weeks apart and then meet up and feel like we'd been there the whole time.

You always were the one to defy the rules - while others would get nervous, you'd get a mischievous determined grin on your face.

You always were the one to speak out against injustice and support the needy and the fallen.

You always were the one to turn up late, to flutter in and out and to make my life more purple.

I always will love you.

I always will miss you.

I always will sing and bless my bodily functions.

Always yours

Bitchell xx