Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Joel Stern: diamond in the rough

I was saddened and shocked when I heard the news about Ester's untimely death. I am 7 out of 9 months into yet another GAP year and am currently in New Zealand. I managed to find the website you have set up in memory of our lovely Ester and what a great tribute it is.

I first met Ester on Shemesh summer camp in 1993 and our mutually loud and extrovert personalities immediately found each other. Ester came up to Newcastle for my Bar Mitzvah in 1995 and I remember her as being the only girl there, bossing around a large gaggle of testosterone-fuelled 13 year olds. What a great job she did! Unfortunately, my being in Newcastle led to an eventual loss of contact with Ester, simply by practicalities and distance. As I said, I am currently away and a few months ago I remembered Ester and thought to myself how great it would be to catch up with her when I got back to the UK, as I will be moving to London. I am distraught I will not have this chance.

Last night I had a dream about Ester. I dreamt I was standing in a field and out of nowhere, Ester came running up to me. I found I was unable to speak but also that I did not have the desire to. Ester ran straight up to me and wrapped her arms around me, holding me tight as only Ester could. Although we did not speak, we cried into each other’s shoulders - nothing else needed to be said.

Ester was a wonderful, beautiful person. A diamond in the rough and someone we all looked up to as a perfect role model of what humankind should be like. The world is a worse place without her.