Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mark Friend: Laughing and Crying

I still can’t believe that you’ve left us Ester. It seems like only yesterday that we were having lunch in Will and Gloria’s garden, soaking in the last of the Autumn sun and talking about life. Annie and I hadn’t seen you for a little while and there was a lot to catch up on. For a couple of hours the conversation careered from the most personal things in our lives through to the latest funny episode. A lot had happened to all of us and as usual we talked very openly and frankly, after all what other way is there to talk. I’ve thought about you every day over the last few weeks and I usually come back to the three of us laughing and crying and failing to wind up your mum (despite trying hard).

I also think a lot about the great times we had at your place over the years since we got to know you in the late ‘90s. Hanging out with us during Angela’s classes, you and Angela singing together, welcoming me in at festivals, opening my eyes to the joys of a good philosophical arm wrestle. Last year, in your succah, when Annie was heavily pregnant, you spent the whole time entertaining Max and Abigail –which largely entailed them chasing you around the garden like a mad thing, hiding in the undergrowth and telling lots of stories. They loved you immediately, which doesn’t often happen with them, and couldn’t get enough. I like to think that you’re entertaining Sam now, running around with him, telling him stories, giving him a hug when he needs it.