Monday, May 14, 2007

Jeremy Gerber: inspiring example

I had the pleasure of getting to know Ester on several occasions over the past three years, first during my visits to Cardiff University’s J-soc (Jewish Society) in 2003—04, and later as a visiting rabbinical student at Minyan Chadash at New London Synagogue. I have spent many of the Jewish holidays with Minyan Chadash, and I have very, very fond memories of meals at the Glucks and singing together in services with Ester. Many of the leaders of the minyan are such wonderful people who have left deep and lasting impressions on me, and Ester is certainly one of the most memorable. I will always miss her energy, her passion for Judaism and for singing, and her willingness to help out and contribute whenever possible.

May we all take the opportunity to learn from Ester’s inspiring example, and seek to live our lives according to our stated values. I know that I will always remember Ester’s life and her work, especially when I celebrate the holidays and when I need to be motivated into action for one cause or another.

I will always be thankful to her for giving me the opportunity to learn these lessons and find such inspiration in our tradition. Her presence, her enthusiasm, and the way she lived her life with ideology and action will truly be missed.